Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Iokwe from OK! Relearning

Iokwe!

Hey everyone! Haha, I instinctively said hello in English; I guess the Marshallese words mean less now that I'm using them less. That's actually pretty close to a principle I've been learning that I'm going to share about this week.

Elder Kilmer and Elder Leavitt (former companion from Edmund)

At the moment, if I were to be put in a situation that would require my language skills, I would probably stumble over a few things. I've not been immersed, so it's a natural effect. I think it's the same with the truth we learn about solving problems, following good paths, and how to best live our lives. Just like I have been losing Marshallese, I've also been less involved in some important principles that I once used so frequently, that I've now also been starting to lose. I've come to realize that I've been struggling in many "language usage" situations with my life because I've felt that I'm a little above following the basics or putting to practice the things that are maybe too simple, in my eyes. 

Marshallese Elders (L-R): Magleby, Watterson, Kilmer, Lazarus, and Springer 
No idea what they are doing.


I know that keeping the basics and relearning and being willing to live those principles in our lives is a small thing, but will keep us on the right path. Focusing on faith, hope, charity, though they are simple, will bring us closer to Christ. Love you all!
Elder Josh Kilmer
OklahomaOklahoma City Mission, English-Marshallese speaking

不動心
Fudoshin:  immovable spirit
www.mormon.org

No comments:

Post a Comment