Monday, October 16, 2017

Iokwe from OK! I'm a changed man!

Iowke!

I wonder how many times I'll actually say "I'm a changed man" in my lifetime. I hope a lot. 


The Mighty Marshallese Elders (L-R): Smith, Lazarus, Menlove, Kilmer, Magleby and Watterson

I've got very little time this week, but I wanted to share some thoughts about something I've come to understand this week:

There are two types of things in this world (haha, I always laugh when I hear that statement): things that can act for themselves and things that can't. We'll call the things that can act for themselves "agents", and the things that can't act "objects". Agents are able to make choices and choose for themselves. Objects can only be acted upon. Example: I am an agent. My pencil is an object. I get to choose what the pencil does if I wish. The pencil does not choose. It is available for me to act upon it. We are all agents. This computer I'm typing on, the car I drive in, and the clothes I wear are all good examples of objects.

I used to view faith and religion as something that made me an object. I knew that God's goal for me was to learn and progress and to live a better and better life. I thought that this would be achieved if I eventually became humble enough to let God tell me what to do in every aspect of my life so that I would live a perfect life. My realization this last week is that I would never reach what God really intends for me if I were to be someone who only could be told what to do. That would make me an object. It would look like I was getting somewhere, but in reality stifle any real progress or development; much like a child whose parents never allow them to do their own school work or make their own decisions. 

Instead, I am learning that it is less about being told and more about learning to choose. Living gospel teachings doesn't force me into a box inside of which is the perfect life. Religion and Christ's teachings are designed as a tool to carve away at my outside layers, revealing inside a sculpture that is a higher form of the block of wood it used to be. The gospel is centered on helping me to choose an increasingly better way of life - because I've learned for myself to act. Some of that involves prevention - it would be better if I could learn some ways of life are harmful without ever experiencing them myself - but the purpose of true religion is always centered on creating more able agents that live better, not foolish objects that wither away and are empty inside.

This has changed my entire perspective about the purpose of church, school, family teachings, etc. This is why it is so important to learn what is true. I am so excited to continue to learn so that I can be an agent that can act for the better, to create a better life for myself and others around me. How grateful I am for a God who give me opportunity to grow in this life. I really feel that He loves me because of that. My invitation this week to seek for truth and to be an agent enabled by learning.

Have a great week!

Jerammaan!

Elder Josh Kilmer
OklahomaOklahoma City Mission, English-Marshallese speaking
不動心
Fudoshin:  immovable spirit

No comments:

Post a Comment