Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Iokwe from OK! Firing it up in Enid

A few weeks behind on Josh's posts as we were on vacation.  Here is last week's.

Iokwe!

Life is so good. We are literally (figuratively) on fire right now. 

Also, I just learned today from Elder Larsen that Dani and his family (remember them?) are doing SO well right now. Apparently they haven't missed a single week of church and they should be on track to be sealed in the temple as a family towards the end of this year. Elder Larsen reports that they are really happy. I love them so much and I am so glad they are doing so well. 

Back to being on fire: 
Elder Smith and I are having so much fun right now. We are also so. tired. *sigh.....* I want sleep so badly but I want to work even more.... But it still feels like my heart is being torn apart between two loves. 

Aside from the lack of sleep, things are going so great. Elder Smith is awesome. He has such a great desire to work and he has such a positive attitude. Every time something bad happens, he just shrugs it off and starts running way too energetically towards the next thing on our schedule. It's so great.

One change I've been experiencing recently is the feeling that the Gospel is really important. I always knew that for myself it has great value. But I have been, up to this point, rather timid sometimes when it came to trying to help others see that as well. If they came up with excuses for why they didn't pray or read or come to church, I would tend to accept those and let them keep making them. I'm really starting to feel now, however, the true importance of the things that we have to share with them and the importance of acting on them. Reading the scriptures is more important than sleeping in. Going to church and taking the sacrament is more important than the party your friends are holding (big problem out here). Feeling the Spirit is more peaceful than sleeping in. Being changed by the Savior's grace is more satisfying than being lazy. 

As I am really trying to apply this in my own life, I feel such a desire to help others to do the same. There is nothing I have found so far in my life that can bring more peace, more happiness, more love, more unity in our families, than actually living the principles that the Savior taught when He was on the earth. Principles like faith, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of His Spirit, loving others, serving, studying, praying, being humble, forgiving. No status, no position, no achievement, no pleasurable activity can provide the joy we can experience by applying these teachings because they are His teachings. As we follow them, we let the Savior and His light into our lives.

In Preach My Gospel, our missionary manual, it says:
"Commitment is the act of obligating oneself to a course of action and then diligently following through on that decision. When people are genuinely committed, they have real intent, meaning that they fully intend to do what they have committed to do. They make an unwavering and earnest decision to change. They become devoted to Christ and dedicate themselves to His gospel."

This is what I am experiencing in my life. Commitment. I'm committed because I have felt the change these teachings have brought to my life, because by living them I have allowed the Savior to change me into something better. And I am more happy. I have more peace. I have more light. 

If you felt anything while reading this, even the slightest desire stirring in you, my challenge this week is to follow the Savior, live these principles, and come and be happy too. 

I know what I shared is true. I know it has value in everyone's lives, no matter where we are or who we are. 

Thanks for reading this far into my mission! I really appreciate the support and I love hearing from you all! Have a great week! 

Jerammaan!

Elder Josh Kilmer
OklahomaOklahoma City Mission, Marshallese speaking
不動心
Fudoshin:  immovable spirit

No comments:

Post a Comment