Monday, September 18, 2017

Iokwe from OK! -- Happiness is having suit pants

Iokwe!


It really is. I've had off-colored suit pants for the past few months since my suit pants had a hole and my normal slacks are close enough to not look horrible... Until you look closer. So I finally got those fixed this week and the relief has been tangible. Nothing weighs on you as heavily as social pressure to match your pants and suit.

Elder Kilmer in the middle with new missionaries.
Side note from Mama Kilmer:  for those of you who know and love Elder Kilmer, you know that probably his lowest priority is fashion.  Special shoutout to President and Sister Mansell for lovingly pointing out that a representative of Jesus Christ probably should care enough to shine his shoes and have matching suit pants.  πŸ˜‚

This week, what I have been learning can be summed up by a couple excerpts from two talks from a general authority and an apostle given this year:

"Do you remember the biblical story of the woman who sufferefor 12 years with debilitating  problem? She exercised great faith in the Savior, exclaiming, “If may touch but his clothes, shall be whole.” 
This faithful, focused woman needed to stretch as far as she could to access His power. Hephysical stretching was symbolic of her spiritual stretching.   
Many of us have cried out from the depths of our hearts variation of this woman’s words: 
'If could spiritually stretcenough to draw the Savior’s power into my life, would know how to handle my heart-wrenching situation. would know what to do. And would have the power to do it.'
When you spiritually stretch beyond anything you have ever done before, then His power will flow into you.  The gospel of Jesus Christ is filled with His power, which is available to every earnestly seeking daughter or son of God."  

I have experienced this stretching over the past few weeks. But, not just because of inadequacy, but also because I have begun to yearn for greater light.

“That which is of God is lightand he that receiveth light, and continueth in God, receveth more light; and that 
light groweth brighter and brighter until the perfect day.”

That light I feel has continued to increase for me. I am so much happier than I have ever been - life seems more full. I believe that it has come from a simple mindset to be light-seeking. Elder Bragg promises us that there is always light available to us, especially from three sources: light from the church, light from the gospel, and light from our Redeemer.

As I have stretched beyond what I thought was my capacity towards the Savior in an effort to draw His life-giving power into my life, I have found that light available to me. It's life-promoting and positive. I love my life and I love trying to share what I'm finding with others. In reality, the light from the church and light from the gospel is light from our Redeemer. My invitation this week is to be light-seeking and spiritually stretch out to Him as you read your scriptures more intently, pray more sincerely, and attend church more purposefully. Gather that light!

Make it a great week!

Jerammaan!

Elder Josh Kilmer
OklahomaOklahoma City Mission, English-Marshallese speaking
不動心
Fudoshin:  immovable spirit

No comments:

Post a Comment