Monday, May 8, 2017

Iokwe from OK: Don't Judge Yourself Too Harshly

Iokwe!

I'm staying! Surprise! It was a pretty easy prediction. Elder Smith and I get another six weeks to work together, which I am really grateful for. I'm excited to bring the fire for another transfer. 

I'm going to keep this email pretty short and sweet. Especially since we are out of time this week.

I have made a lot of changes in my life in the past year and some. It's lead me to do a lot of reflecting on the past, especially my past character and behaviors. It has been productive, for the most part, but also sometimes has lead me to wallow a little bit in self-loathing and self-pity. I often look down on my past self and resent some of the decisions that I have made.

What I have learned from this is that it can be good to look back, but we need to be wise. Recognizing differences, comparing and contrasting, and judging are positive when they produce feelings of gratitude, humility, determination to change, and other uplifting emotions. If we spend time feeling sorry for ourselves because of our past mistakes or hating ourselves, it's time to give ourselves a break. Turn to the Savior and let him bear that burden, and lets move on. 

Love you all. Have a great week!

Jeramman!

Elder Josh Kilmer
Oklahoma, Oklahoma City Mission
不動心 Fudoshin:  immovable mind
www.mormon.org

No comments:

Post a Comment