Monday, March 13, 2017

Iokwe from OK: Weird Week!

Iokwe!

So, we had a curve ball thrown at us this week when on Thursday Sister Mansell called and told us that Elder Nicholas is getting moved to be an office elder in the city to go help relocate the mission office from OKC to Edmond (I think) during the next three weeks or so. Apparently they only had one office elder at the time and needed another one to help during the move. So she basically said that some missionaries were coming up in about 2 hours and we both needed to pack because he was leaving and I was forming a trio with Elder Lazarus and Elder Tetea to cover all of Enid. Soooooo that was sudden and weird. It was also hilarious because Elder Nicholas and I always joked about how being called to an office elder was a huge insult, as if President Mansell were trying to tell you that you were a terrible proselyter so you needed to be pulled out to do busy work so you don't do any more damage. We had a good laugh at Elder Nicholas's expense over that one. 

So currently, Elder Tetea, Elder Lazarus, and myself are in charge of both the East and the West Marshallese areas in Enid, which has been a bit of an adjustment because we have been trying to merge our records and get acquainted with each other's investigators. But we're starting to work things out. They told us it should be a temporary change for just these three remaining weeks in this transfer and then we should have two companionships again and things will be back to normal. 

When you're a missionary, living in a trio equates to working really hard to follow the schedule and get to things on time (even with our two bathrooms), and especially with our weird move and sudden changes, we've really struggled to get in our studies this week. I've really felt the impact of losing those precious hours of spiritual preparation for the day. I've found that I've been more inclined to think about myself only, respond poorly, complain, and generally give in to all of the selfish impulses that make us worse people than we want to be.

 I've discovered in my own life that there are certain things that I need to consistently do in order to maintain my well-being. These things include (among others) daily scripture study, daily prayer (ideal when humble and sincere), spending time serving others, spending time with uplifting people, engaging in uplifting and wholesome media, attending church each week, exercising, eating well, etc.

Honestly, it's not hard to see that those things are good. Every time I make a list of those things, I feel kind of stupid because it's so obvious. However, I've found so often in my life that I end up excluding some of those activities from my daily life for some reason or another and then end up wondering a few days or weeks later why on earth I feel so stressed and oppressed by everything in life. I end up so irritable and I feel like I'm not in control of my life, and every time I stop to think about what is wrong, I can see that for the past while I have cut out those good things in my life, either intentionally or accidentally.

I feel like we are a little like plants in that respect. Though they need constant nourishment, if necessary, plants can go a day without water. However, when several days pass, they really start to miss it. After a while longer, they wilt, turn brown, and eventually start falling apart. 

As I work hard to make sure I get the necessary water for my well-being this week, my challenge for you all is to evaluate your lives and see if you are missing anything that you need. And then make time for it. I know that sometimes those little things don't really seem to make much of a difference, but I promise that over time you will feel a whole lot better as you invite more light into your life. We see it every time as the people we meet with begin to read the scriptures, pray, and come to church. I'm especially a big proponent of those three. They bring me so much peace. 


Hope your week goes well as you give it a shot!

-- 
Jeramman!

Elder Josh Kilmer
Oklahoma, Oklahoma City Mission
不動心 Fudoshin:  immovable mind

No comments:

Post a Comment