Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Iokwe from OK! Power to ACT

Hi everyone, 

We just learned that Elder Kilmer will be transferring to Norman, OK on Wednesday 7/13/16 to an English-speaking companion, Elder Larsen.  We will continue to pray for Elder Nicholas and those people they were teaching together in Enid and are excited for his new experiences with Elder Larsen.   Below is his letter from this week:

Iokwe Aolep!

Inline image 1

Well, it's been an interesting week.  As I said in my last letter, Elder Menlove dislocated his right pinky finger while playing basketball.  It was actually rather ironic because President has told us that we are getting too many injuries while playing sports so we need to tone it down.  So they were playing a relaxed game of 21--which mostly involves shooting from a distance and Elder Menlove stuck out his hand when someone was passing him and then we spent a few hours getting him medical care.   He's okay now, and surprisingly, it hasn't been dislocated again so far.

Secondly, President Walkenhorst has now left the mission.  We got to meet President Mansell this week which is exciting.  I am grateful to have learned so much from President Walkenhorst during his service here.  He was very focused on the Spirit of the Law--the "why" and the higher law behind all of the mission rules.  He was always letting us make our own decisions and learn from the consequences rather than forcing us to live a certain way.  He was always loving and patient and we will for sure miss him.  However, life goes on for everyone and it's time for him and Sister Walkenhorst to continue with their lives.  We are excited to learn from President Mansell at this juncture. 

The past few days, I've been thinking a lot about action.  I've noticed many times in my life when I believe, know, or desire something, but didn't act on it.  I know it's a good thing to ask someone if they need help, but rationalize and make excuses about why I didn't need to.  I believe that I should say something to someone that could help them, but remain quiet instead.  I notice someone doing something they shouldn't, but I don't intervene. 

Those instances of inaction really bother me.  I never regret acting on what I believe to be good, even if I do make a mistake, because I was trying to live what I know.  But some occasions when I have failed to act come back to haunt me time and time again.  I'm sure many of you can recall similar experiences as well.

So, my challenge this week is to act.  This is not a call to imprudent behavior or impulsive choices.  This is an invitation to live what you know and act on your beliefs.  If we make mistakes, that's okay, we can learn from those.  We don't often learn from inaction, but usually claim guilt and regret as our reward.  

Perhaps this challenge could be best summed up by the German phrase a modern-day Apostle shared with us recently: "There is nothing good unless you do it."

Let us go out and do good.  I promise that as we act on what we believe and live what we know, we will rid ourselves of the guilt of inaction and fill the world with good works.  We will bring peace to ourselves and happiness to others.

Scriptural references relating to this topic:  
  • Romans 13:11-12 11 And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.
     12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light.
  • 2 Nephi 1:13, 21   13 O that ye would awake; awake from a deep sleep, yea, even from the sleep of hell, and shake off the awful chains by which ye are bound, which are the chains which bind the children of men, that they are carried away captive down to the eternal gulf of misery and woe.... 21 And now that my soul might have joy in you, and that my heart might leave this world with gladness because of you, that I might not be brought down with grief and sorrow to the grave, arise from the dust, my sons, and be men, and be determined in one mind and in one heart, united in all things, that ye may not come down into captivity.
Jeramman!

Elder Josh Kilmer
Oklahoma, Oklahoma City Mission, Marshallese speaking

不動心
Fudoshin:  immovable spirit


  

No comments:

Post a Comment